Q: Key won't turn shift

I went out to the garage like usual to start my car, and I put the key in the ignition. I tried to turn the key, but it wouldn’t turn. I tried to put my car from park to neutral and it wouldn’t shift or go anywhere. It's stuck! Can you please help me? What could be wrong with my car?

A: Greetings. Thanks for writing in about your...

Greetings. Thanks for writing in about your 1998 Saab 900. It sounds like your ignition cylinder may have seized up. This can happen over time due to key tumblers inside the ignition cylinder itself becoming out-of-shape and unable to make the proper pattern when the key is inside it.

I suggest trying to use another ignition key if you have it, in order to attempt starting the vehicle. Your steering wheel could be locked, which locks the ignition cylinder in place. To unlock the steering wheel. Wiggle the steering wheel left and right as you are trying to turn the key.

This should unlock the steering wheel and the ignition key if the steering wheel is locked. If that does not make much of a difference, then you will likely need a new ignition cylinder. I suggest that a technician come out and diagnose your ignition condition, and if necessary, replace the cylinder.