Q: Key will not turn to start the car

The key will not turn to start the car. The ignition lock cylinder will not release and the steering wheel is turning without locking while the car is off.

Hello. This can be as simple as a dead battery. If the battery is low enough, then this will occur. I typically start by load testing the battery to see if that is the problem. If the battery is fine then the problem may be in the shifter assembly. I have had a lot of shifter issues where the computer does not pick up the correct gear and this will cause the key to be stuck in the ignition and will also keep it from starting the car. If you need to have it fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your key ignition issue and make the repairs needed to get your car back on the road.

3. Key will not turn to start the car