Q: Key stuck in ignition and wheel doesn't lock while shifted in Park

We pulled into our driveway and parked the car but the key wouldn't come out of the ignition, nor did the steering wheel lock in place. Removed the negative battery terminal and was able to remove the key. Saw a number of articles that suggested that the plastic ring below the shift knob would come loose and slip down preventing the car from fully engaging in park, but this was not the case with our car. One person suggested rocking the car back and forth, and this actually worked...for a bit. Was able to remove the key, restart and remove it again, but by the time I got back home the problem was back. I've also removed the center console cover but didn't see anything physically keeping the shifter from going into park.

Hello there. It’s possible that the ignition lock cylinder or a component inside the assembly is damaged, which might be causing the issues you’re experiencing. I’ve seen many early 2000’s Ford Focus’ have transmission issues, but nothing that typically causes ignition problems. To properly diagnose and repair your car, it’s best to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a key is stuck in ignition inspection at your location first.

3. Key stuck in ignition and wheel doesn't lock while shifted in Park