Q: Key not recognized by truck - 2006 Mitsubishi Raider

My Check Engine light came on and my key isn’t recognized by the truck. The keys I have are the ones that came with the truck when I bought it 8 months ago. I am getting these codes: Skim Base Station Mismatch, ECM Mismatch with Skim, Invalid Key, Unidentified Key Communication Error. It also says I have an Invalid VIN Number! Do you know how I can fix this? I don’t want to bring it to the dealer. Thanks.

A: Hello. I would usually start by checking th...

Hello. I would usually start by checking the battery and the connections at the battery. If there is low voltage in the system, then this will occur. If the battery and connections are fine, then the issue is either in the body control module or the ignition switch. If the switch is not sending the correct signal to the computer, then this will also occur. A voltage drop test of the ignition switch can be done to see if it needs to be replaced. If you want to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to inspect the Check Engine Light and ignition key problem for an in-person diagnosis.