Q: Key ignition - 2001 Honda Passport

When I turn the.key normally ,the car will not start. When I force the key and wobble it, the car starts. I replaced the battery

A: Hello. This is a very common issue with Hon...

Hello. This is a very common issue with Honda’s. You either have a bad ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch. Most of the time, it is the ignition switch. The ignition switch gets excessive play in it not allowing it to turn as far as it once did. You are taking up this play when you are forcing the key. This is a relatively easy repair.

Remove the steering column covers and locate the ignition switch. The switch will be to the left of the column in a direct line down the center of the ignition lock cylinder. The lock cylinder turns the ignition switch when you turn the key. Before you purchase the part, I recommend removing the switch to confirm the failure and bring the switch to the parts store with you to make sure you leave with the correct part. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the ignition and verify the failing component before moving forward with a repair.

Good luck!