Q: Keeps shutting off!

One day my car wouldn't start so I got a jump and that didn't work so I had it towed to a shop the mechanic told me it was the fuel pump so he fixed it and gave me an oil change. I was driving the car home from the shop and less than 10mins into the drive the car starts to slow down and come to a stop (shutting off)I noticed the key light was on so I immediately called the mechanic he told me he programmed a new key to my car (without my knowledge) because my old key is what caused the fuel pump to go bad! after waiting a hour the key light went off and the car started back up so I drove it back to the shop the next day he said its the computer system and only the dealership can fix it! Since then the car starts up sometimes if the key light dnt come on. So yesterday I started the car up with the old key and the key light never came on and the car ran for abt 30mins but it cut off again! I asked the mechanic was it the alternator but he said no however, he never tested the alternator

A: Hello there, you have several different iss...

Hello there, you have several different issues going on with your 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The car shutting off can have many causes such as the ignition switch, coil, crankshaft sensor, fuel filter, or a wiring harness fault. The key symbol can be caused by the key, ignition switch, security module, wiring harness fault, or the ECU. At this point your vehicle needs to be diagnosed properly and have these systems gone through to find the root cause of all of these faults. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the stalling issue and follow through with repairs.