Q: Jeep Cherokee Sport only starts by keying the ignition

My friend has a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The only way we can get it started is with slightly keying the ignition--to the on, to the back and off, three or four times and then it starts.

It depends on what’s happening. If you are cycling it, when you cycle it and nothing happens the starter doesn’t go on and start the engine--then either the starter motor is bad, the ignition switch is bad or you’ve got power failure somewhere going to the starter, weak cables, corroded cables or connectors. But if you are talking about hearing the starting noise again and again until it finally starts, that’s often a weak fuel pump. Change the fuel filter and have the fuel pump pressure tested to see if it’s weak. A lot of times, a weak fuel pump can cause that. If you would like to have this inspected, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car starting issue and replace your fuel pump if necessary.