Q: ive got noise from rear differential and noticed ihave slight movement in nearside shaft.

Is it ok to use and how do I repair as cheap as possiblemas ive gt no cash.

A: Hi there: Thanks for writing in to YourMec...

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in to YourMechanic about the noise coming from your rear differential. There are multiple mechanical problems that could be causing your noise, ranging from a bad differential seal to problems with the lateral link. Either one could break sooner rather than later; so I wouldn’t recommend driving the vehicle any more than you should.

Instead of taking your Subaru to a shop, why not contact one of our local ASE certified mechanics, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect and diagnose the precise cause of your rear end noise? It will most likely be much more affordable than taking it to most shops.