Q: Car will start fine but will rarely shift into gear.

I hit a curb going 65 and thought I bent the frame. It was a steering knuckle causing my alignment issue. Shortly after having it replaced my car would shake while driving. Then one morning I started my car and it would only so often shift into gear. From the stick to the dash, it would recognize a change, but rarely would it transfer to the tranny and lock gears in place. I have a leak that may have messed with the range selection switch under the hood... but now my tranny doesn't seem to self drive when put in gear most of the time. It will start and Rev just fine... but no pull. Relatively cheap switch fix? Or tranny rebuild?? Every gen. of this car has similar issues.

A: Hi there. Sounds like the transmission is ...

Hi there. Sounds like the transmission is having an internal issue. When your vehicle hit a curb at 65 MPH and buckled the control arm and bend the frame, the CV axle was pushed into the transmission causing a harsh jolt to the clutch assembly inside the transmission. This causes thrust bearings to blow out and grind the clutch packs making them slip. Your vehicle is having a slipping transmission, which you mentioned that it was starting to do this symptom, but now its more persistent after the vehicle was repaired for drivable road conditions. I recommend having your transmission rebuilt or replaced. If you need further assistance with your transmission not shifting correctly after hitting a curb at 65 MPH, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.