Q: It will crank when I turn the key and Wont start

5 year old car battery. I got the vehicle inspected by a mechanic and he said he was concerned that my battery was dangerously near dead. I got my car jumped fairly frequently since I got it in January 2016. Until two days ago when I just got a new battery. Replaced the battery with a brand new one because my car wouldn't start even with a jump. Now my car will turn on and the engine will crank but won't turn over. As soon as I replaced the battery it started up with a few gas pedal pumps as I turned the key but it only made it down the street before it stopped running again.

Have your new battery charged and tested to ensure it is good. Sometimes you get a defective or weak new battery.

Running on a dead battery can damage your alternator. With a charged and decent battery you should read at least 13.5 volts at the battery terminals with the vehicle running. Then check the voltage at the rear terminal of the alternator which should read the same as at the battery. If the voltages are different then you have a blown fuse or wiring problem. If the voltages at both places are below 13.5, I would suspect a bad alternator.

Other issues which might be indicated by a Check Engine Light or other warning lights could cause the vehicle not to run. A diagnostic code scan once the car is running and the alternator is charging is recommended.

Lastly, sometimes jump starting a vehicle multiple times could cause damage to the computers on a vehicle.

If you feel like you need assistance with this, get some help from a certified mechanic who can diagnose your starting problem firsthand and fix it accordingly.

3. It will crank when I turn the key and Wont start