Q: It starts, but takes a couple tries. Then if I stomp the gas pedal too hard on take off it will shut off.

It starts, but takes a couple tries. Then if I stomp the gas pedal too hard on take off the car will shut off. But if I ease into the gas pedal it will run fine. I suspect a vacuum leak maybe. But I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not sure. I need some advice.

With your elevated mileage, there are several suspect components: a dirty idle air control valve or throttle body will have poor "transition" behavior, loose hoses or other intake system leaks can cause hesitation and poor low-speed running. Low fuel pressure, or dirty injectors can cause these behaviors as well.

I would recommend having your starting problem diagnosed by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage, and a cost estimate for repairs. YourMechanic can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location for this repair.

• It starts, but takes a couple tries. Then if I stomp the gas pedal too hard on take off it will shut off.