Q: it is not shifting right. like its not engaging or something

Ok so, i have a 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 5.2L V8 automatic. And i just replaced the transmission, but i haven't been able to drive it yet because for some reason when i go from (P)park to (R)reverse and then (N)nutural to (D)drive then (2nd) to (1st) it shifts WAY to easy. And doesn't feel like its really shifting at all. But all of the linkages are hooked up tho. And then i go to put it all the way back up to (P)park it makes a clunking sound each time that i shift it back up to (P)park. And it sounds like the clunking noise is on the firewall like behind the steering column. Do you have any idea what it could be? Please let me know. Thank you!

Have someone look at the shift linkage on the steering column in the engine compartment when you shift through the gears. It sounds like one of the shift rods may have come off or the shift tube in the column is broken. The link rods all have plastic retainers and one of the rods may have a bad retainer. If the shift lever does not move on the column the it is internal of the column on shift tube. If the shift linkage moves fully and is moving the transmission through the gears then check the lever on the transmission is tight. If it is, then the problem is inside the transmission and the pan would need to be removed to see what came loose. If you are continuing to have problems or would like to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your shifting problem.