Q: Is this engine a 'close proximity engine'?

Need to replace timing chain and need to know if engine is a close proximity engine and how to be able to tell the difference

Hey there. This engine is an interference motor. This means if the timing chain breaks then the valves will contact the pistons if the engine is still turning. You would be able to tell if the engine was an interference motor by checking the engine specification in the service manual.

When you look online for this information you will get conflicting information as to if this is an interference or non-interference motor. According to the service manual, this engine will bend the valves if the timing chain jumps or breaks.

You would know it bent the valves when you open the engine up and see valves springs are not contacting the camshafts or loss of compression in one or more cylinders when the valves should be closed when checking the timing chain and gears.

If you are replacing the timing chain and guides as a maintenance to prevent damaging the motor you should acquire a proper service manual and any special tools needed to complete the this repair. If you are not comfortable doing this, I strongly recommend having a certified professional from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to replace the timing chain for you.

3. Is this engine a 'close proximity engine'?