Q: Is there any reason that a mechanic would have put a MT58 battery in instead of a MT86?

I've been dealing with the same company for the last 3 years, including the several batteries that I have had through them. I got the original one in Feb of 2015 and have had 4 more under warranty since then. Every time they put one in, it lasts anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple months before it dies again. This week I was driving and my gas stopped, brakes locked and my power steering went. The new garage said this was because my battery was so fried, but that it was also a MT58, which is much too small for my car. This is obviously wrong and I'm thinking that they have always used the MT58, but just charged me for the MT86. Price doesn't make the overall difference but it obviously plays a huge role in the overall well-being of my car. What do you think?

I have verified with Interstate that your car does in fact use the MT-86 battery. It is unclear why your mechanic may have installed the MT-58, but this may very well be the cause of your batteries not lasting more than a few months. When a battery is subjected to starting conditions or demands that are much greater than what it is designed to handle as you can imagine, this will very quickly destroy it. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your battery with the correct application.

3. Is there any reason that a mechanic would have put a MT58 battery in instead of a MT86?