Q: Is my thermostat the problem or is it my oil pump? I've been researching but I don't know for sure.

I got this truck from my brother over a year ago. Before I got it, I replaced the thermostat twice. It drove well all fluid levels were fine. Then back in July this year, my oil pressure gauge started going down when I'd stop then level off when I started to drive again. I checked the oil it was fine, I had a diagnostic ran on it nothing showed up. Well a couple of days ago the truck started to overheat. On my way back from AutoZone on Saturday, the truck started making a rattling sort of noise, and my temperature ran past the red. I barely got back to my apartment before it stalled out. I waited till it cooled down started it and parked it correctly. So what do you think? I'm not by any means familiar with what could be wrong, I've just researched and been asking questions, please help me out with some advice

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. The proble...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. The problem with oil pressure and overheating issues is that there are several individual components that may not be working correctly to cause these issues. My first guess would be that the thermostat on the radiator has failed, causing the accelerated overheating problem. However, the rattling noise also may indicate a problem with the water pump or radiator itself. The rattling noise may be coolant inside the oil, which is usually caused by a blown head gasket. The best bet for you is to contact one of our local mechanics to complete an engine is overheating inspection before you run out to buy any parts or to get quotes on repairs. This will allow the mechanic to determine the precise source of your problems and recommend the right corrective action.