Q: Is my problem the timing belt is worn?

Have a knocking noise in idle. Car drives but when going uphill I lose power and there is a backfire in the carburetor.

It is possible that the carburator may be out of adjustment or require a good cleaning. I would recommend having your fuel system inspected by a qualified professional to determine if the carburator is the cause of the issue. These engines actually have a timing chain and this chain is very rarely broken or damaged. If the timing chain were damaged, the engine would likely not run at all. Consider YourMechanic for your fuel system inspection as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your fuel system for you.