Q: Is my alternator to psycaly big?

I replaced my serpentine belt tentioner and now the alternator I took off rubs up against new tentioner pulley. The foul tentioner pully arm was pushed out so I didn't notice until my belt was falling off. Is it possible that even if my alternator bolts in its too big(wide)? Or could it be something else? The new tentioner seems right, maybe the previous owner forced the alternator in there. Just needed some clarification before spending money on whole alternator. Thanks.

A: I would recommend removing the belt tension...

I would recommend removing the belt tensioner and retrace your steps. If the alternator fit on the engine before the tensioner was replaced and the new tensioner is an OEM part, the alternator should fit back on now. It is likely that something may have been installed incorrectly so it would be best to take the tensioner back off and reexamine the situation. For best results, you may try having the tensioner replaced by a qualified professional, like one from YourMechanic, as this route would provide a warranty on the repair should anything go wrong in the future. A new alternator should not be necessary.