Q: Is loud screeching when pressing down the brakes normal for a Nissan?

I currently drive a 2015 Nissan Sentra. For about 3 weeks now, when I just turn the car on and I am driving and press on the brake, it makes a very loud screeching sound. This ONLY happens when I press on the brake/ when I am coming to a stop. Kind of sounds like when a bus is stopping. This happens mainly when I turn my car on (whether it's day or night) and continues for about 10-15 minutes while driving. I have brought the car to Nissan and they tell me it is normal when cars are turned on, and the mechanic claims he did not hear a sound. I am looking for a clear answer, as driving a low mileage car for less than a year is resulting in loud screeching and it is quite embarrassing.

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. A screeching sound coming from your brake can be normal. This is cause by brake dust. A paste can be applied to the brake pad to quiet this sound, but may not completely eliminate it. It would not hurt to have the brake pads and rotors inspected. With only 12687 miles on your vehicle the brake pads should be fine, but doesn’t guarantee they didn’t prematurely wear out.

I’d recommend checking your vehicle warranty, this may be covered. If not, consider YourMechanic, as one of our certified technicians can come to you and perform an inspection of the noise coming from your brakes. Best of luck.

3. Is loud screeching when pressing down the brakes normal for a Nissan?