Q: is it required to change the compressor if its not functioning ?

my ac stoped cooling and a weird car noise was made the garage told me it was the compressor and it cost like 450 $ do i have to cange it or no need ?

If the compressor is the source of the noise, then yes, you will need a new compressor. As for what exactly is wrong with your A/C system, I can’t speak to that without more information or directly diagnosing it. Most shops are fairly proficient at air conditioning repairs, especially if your compressor was making loud noises as they commonly do when they fail. But if you would like a second opinion before moving forward with repairs, have a local expert, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the AC system to verify any faulty components.