Q: Is it possible to bypass putting a pulley back on?

I bought this Yukon like 3yrs Ago my oil pump recently went out. The guy that was working on it said whoever had it bypass putting the pulley back on

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The engine oil pump is attached to the engine behind the timing chain, so putting a pulley back on will not bypass the engine oil pump. If you are referring to the power steering pump, then you will need the pulley to put on the serpentine belt.

If you are needing to replace a failed oil pump, first you will need to hook up a manual oil pressure gauge to the engine. If the gauge does not register anything and you are on an oil gallery, then the oil pump needs to be replaced. If the gauge reads good oil pressure, then the electronic oil pressure sensor or gauge in the cab needs to be replaced.

If you need further assistance with fixing the oil pump, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with your vehicle.