Q: Is it necessary to replace the timing chain during a ring replacement job?

The honda repair rep has advised me that my 2009 Honda Accord Coupe requires a "ring" job - which will be paid for by honda - however, he stated that during the course of the ring job - the timing chain should also be replaced - of course the cost of that service will not be covered by Honda - so my question is as follows - Is it "necessary" to replace the timing chain during the course of the ring job?

Also, the car has NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL - related to a timing chain repair/replacement.

Please advise.

A: In the course of performing the recall the ...

In the course of performing the recall the timing chain needs to be removed in order to perform the service. The chain does not need to be replaced but does need to be removed. If the dealer will replace the chain and charge for the part only, then go for that. If they try and charge additional labor for the replacement chain, then ask why when it needs to be taken off when the job is performed. There should not be additional labor.