Q: Q: Is it my power steering pump?

I am having a very hard time steering my car. It is very stiff and difficult. Turning and backing up are very difficult.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to offer my insight.

This may be related to the power steering pump in your car, however it is possible there are other issues as well. The power steering pump will make a very noticeable whining noise when it is struggling or low on fluid. I would first check the fluid level to be sure it is not low or leaking. If the pump is functioning correctly, the problem may be related to the power steering rack which has a series of valves that the fluid moves in and out of which helps assist in the power steering process.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.

3. Q: Is it my power steering pump?