Q: is it mandatory to replace shift motor when replacing the transfer case

same as above

Hi there:

In general, it’s a best practices, good service or liability issue as to why most mechanics or automotive shops will replace the "shift motor" while replacing a transfer case. The transfer case has multiple components inside or attached that must work together in order to function correctly. In most cases, when the transfer case is damaged, these ancillary parts that comprise the system are also damaged; which require replacement. Plus, it’s typically not efficient to try and rebuild ancillary parts when it’s more cost effective and simply logical to have new parts within the transfer case; so the vehicle doesn’t brake down again. So, to answer your question, is it Mandatory - sometimes; based on policy. Is it smart - always.

3. is it mandatory to replace shift motor when replacing the transfer case