Q: is it a good deal

the car in trying to buy has 199000 miles on it, but it just recently had a new transmission installed with just 10,000 miles on it. is this a good idea or will it have problems soon ?

A: Such a good idea to ask about a vehicle BEF...

Such a good idea to ask about a vehicle BEFORE you buy it! Regarding the transmission specifically: if it was an actual NEW transmission I would feel pretty good about it. If it was rebuilt, its long term life expectancy will depend on the skill of the technician who actually built it. You might want to inquire about whether any remaining warranty coverage on the transmission can transfer from the original purchaser to you. On the car deal itself, I strongly suggest you get a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to do a pre-purchase inspection. There is simply no substitute for a set of experienced eyes looking it over. You may save yourself from making a big mistake. Or you'll get confirmation that it has been well cared for, and is good used car to purchase. Best of luck!