Q: Is clutch going out?

When I driving and put it in 5 gear at normal speed about 52 55 when I step on gas rpm starts to move up instead moving slowly it moves up just as much the mph does what could this be

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Yes, the clutch is slipping. Before you rule out the clutch to be worn, do a check with the vehicle on a high slope. With the engine off and the vehicle on a high slope and the parking brake on, put the transmission in 1st gear and release the parking brake. The vehicle should not move. Then set the parking brake and put the transmission in 5th gear. Release the parking brake and see if the vehicle moves or stays still. If the vehicle starts to move and moves fast, then the clutch is worn out and needs replaced.

Now, if you put the transmission in 1st gear and the vehicle moved fast, then you will want to check the clutch pedal and slave cylinder for proper operation. The slave cylinder could have a problem and causing the clutch to slightly disengage making the symptoms of a slipping clutch. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with a slipping clutch.

3. Is clutch going out?