Q: Is a non vtech 1995 honda accord tranny comparable with a vtech 1997 honda accord

I took a transmission out of a 1995 Honda accord, it was non vtech. I put it into my 1997 Honda accord, this is a vtech. Both transmissions were automatic, the 95 fit perfectly fine into the 97. The question is now does the computer on the 97 need to be tweaked at all & is there another wire that needs to be added to the harness. I'm just a girl, this is all like brain surgery to me. Can someone please tell me what needs to be done to the wiring and the computer and how to do it please. Any help would be so much appreciated. Thank you, Tiffany Clark My car has 140000 miles. Both cars have automatic transmissions.

Hi Tiffany: I contacted Honda with your specific question. According to Honda, the only transmission that will work properly, as designed and as intended, in your 1997 Accord is one with the EXACT same tag ID that you had originally. Consequently, the 1995 transmission will not work without RE-ENGINEERING components in the vehicle. We do not have details of the required re-engineering nor does Honda. They would literally have to assign technical staff to create a solution and instructions that you or mechanics would implement to get a non interchange part to work. The tag ID that you need appears on the 1997 transmission or it can be recreated using your VIN number. That tag ID represents the only interchange that is known to work. Installing a 1995 transmission with a different tag ID represents a custom, unique design that was not contemplated by Honda, and consequently is not supported by Honda. We repair factory built designs based on data in the Factory Service Manuals. Custom designs or newly created systems are generally outside our purview. It will be vastly less costly, less risky, and much more convenient if you install the transmission that Honda has ALREADY specified for your vehicle because by the time you redesign the car to accommodate a transmission that it was not intended for you will have to spend much more in the end than if you just simply used the Honda specified and Honda authorized part.

3. Is a non vtech 1995 honda accord tranny comparable with a vtech 1997 honda accord