Q: internal malfunction of drivers door latch

battery kept dying every 30 days or so. had repairs done ( alternator sleeve) cost me 750.00. brought car home, in 30 days battery died again. took back to dealer repair & was told the followng: scanned vehicle control modules, faults stored for driver door latch & left rear door latch. tested operation of door locks & alarm system, found internal malfunction of drivers door latch. need to replace the driver door latch & recheck central convenience system. may also need left rear door latch. was quoted 930.00 for these repairs. would like to know if this can be done any cheaper & if this would quaranty to solve the problem.

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

Failed door latches are a very common issue on VW’s, and they certainly can cause a drain on the battery. That said, without seeing the car it’s impossible to guarantee that the door latch or latches will fix it permanently. As far as cost goes, dealership labor prices are very high, so any repairs they recommend could likely be done for less money through another repair service. With how common these door latch failures are, I would suggest only using high quality brand new replacements. Before going any further though, you should have a qualified technician, such as one available through YourMechanic, come to you and thoroughly diagnose why the battery won’t hold a charge. The technician will properly test the battery to make sure that it is able to take and hold a proper charge, as well as check the system for any electrical drains. At that point they will be able to advise on what repairs should be made.