Q: Intermittently, all electrical systems go out

Intermittently, my car’s back window shade goes up all on its own. Also intermittently, the odometers reset by themselves. The dealership couldn’t replicate these problems. Four days later while in my driveway, I turned off the engine and everything died. All electrical systems were off - doors and trunk wouldn’t open/close, etc. Then a couple of minutes later, my car restarted. When it did, the clock went to 12:00 and then roated hands until the current time appeared. The trip odometers had reset to zero and the back window shade went up by itself one time. The car drove just fine until later that day while I was in line at the gas station. I turned off the engine and everything died yet again. It would not restart at all. Then after a few minutes, it started and the same thing with the clock happened, as did the odometers. However the Range mileage did remain as it had been before the shut-down. This is very dangerous and naturally, I am worried this will happen again. Please give me your expert advice of how I can get this problem permanently fixed. Thanks.

A: Hello It sounds like there are some electri...

Hello It sounds like there are some electrical "gremlins" in your car. It sounds like the main issue is that the computers are losing their power sources for some reason. My first recommendation would be to check the battery cables and make sure they are tight. A battery cable intermittently and briefly having a poor connection would cause these issues. Also, a faulty battery cable itself could cause similar problems. Checking the cables requires a multimeter and electronic testing knowledge. If you would like to have this checked for you, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the electrical system and diagnose the problem.