Q: Intermittent startup problem

Hi. I have occasional startup isuess with my truck. It would run great for a while and then start having starting difficulties out of the blue. When that happens, it the truck would usually start up after engaging the ignition up to ten times. The ignition makes a clicking sound. These issues would last briefly and the truck would work fine for a long period with no issues whatsoever. I had the battery replaced recently. What could be the problem here? Thanks.

A: One of two common issues could be the case,...

One of two common issues could be the case, assuming the battery is holding its charge:

1. The ignition switch itself: the ignition switches on the Tacoma are known to wear out over time.

2. The starter: taking a voltage check at the starter while cranking will let you know if the issue lies in the starting circuit or the starter itself. Be very careful if you try this voltage check as serious injury can occur if the system arcs to ground while taking this measurement.

You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the tools and expertise to safely diagnose and correct issues in the starting system.