Q: Incorrect speeds on the speedometer

Hi, I have problems with the speedometer in my car. It doesn't show correct speeds whatsoever. Sometimes it just gets stuck and show very high speed although I drive moderately fast. Other times it shows 50 mph although I don't drive and it should be zero. What should I do to fix this?

I believe there are two possible causes to the issue you are having. One of the potential causes would be a faulty vehicle speed sensor. On many vehicles this sensor is located externally on the transmission or transaxle. If this sensor has failed, it could send false signals to the instrument cluster. The other possible cause of this issue would be a faulty instrument cluster. There are small gears inside most instrument clusters that control the needles on the gauge. If these plastic gears have been damaged due to becoming brittle over time, the speedometer may become inaccurate. For best results, have this issue diagnosed by a qualified professional to inspect why your speedometer is not working.

3. Incorrect speeds on the speedometer