Q: Difficulty changing gear. Has become very stiff, mainly second gear and reverse. Only 30k miles 2009 Toyota Yaris

In the past week started having difficulty changing gear. Has become very stiff, mainly second gear and reverse. Only 30k miles on the clock so should not expect to need a new gear box or clutch, any suggestions?

Hello - most likely one or both of your shifter cables needs to be replaced, because of lack of lubrication inside the cable. The colder weather highlights this problem (probably shifts better after you’ve driven a bit, right?). I would recommend a shifter inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm this diagnose, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Difficulty changing gear. Has become very stiff, mainly second gear and reverse. Only 30k miles 2009 Toyota Yaris