Q: In the mornings when I start my car and it's cold, I can't shift into gear until the truck warms up. What could this be?

In the mornings, when i first start my truck, I cant move the gear shift lever out of Park. I have to wait for the truck to warm up. Usually anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Then, all of a sudden I can shift to reverse or drive.

A: Hi there. There are a few possibilities for...

Hi there. There are a few possibilities for why your vehicle's gear shift lever is stuck when cold. First, at the time this is happening, check to see if the brake lights are working. If not, there may be a poor connection at the fuse. It could be the result of a faulty brake light switch as the shift interlock solenoid is controlled through the brake light switch. It could be also be that the shift interlock solenoid is faulty.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the gear shift lever sticks and suggest any needed repairs.