Q: im a first time driver and i got a rx8 i want to know everything that i need to know about my car

im a first time driver and i got a rx8 i want to know everything that i need to know about my car

A: Well, I won’t be able to tell you everythin...

Well, I won’t be able to tell you everything you will need to know about your car. But I can give you some general advice and knowledge that will certainly come in handy no matter what kind of car you own.

The number one thing with any car is to check your fluids. Some people will do this every time they fill up their fuel tank. Others will do it every 1,000 miles or so. What’s important is you get into the habit of checking your fluids on a regular basis. Whatever works for you. Since you are first time driver, I would recommend checking all fluids with every tank of gas. This will give you a feel for what happens with each fluid and the system they are a part of. The general rule of thumb for all fluids is, if you don’t see a leak, the fluid level is probably good. This isn’t a foolproof method though. Once you get to know your car better, it is a useful method of knowing if any fluids need to be checked asap.

Always check the engine oil. Of any other fluid, aside from your brake fluid, this is the most important. Mainly, it is the most likely to become low quickly and damage your motor. There doesn’t have to be an engine oil leak for your motor to run out of oil. This is why it should be check more often than any other.

Your brake fluid level can usually be checked through the clear reservoir that contains the brake fluid. Unless there is a leak, or the brakes are almost gone, brake fluid level will be constant with little change for a long time. Since it is the primary safety device on any vehicle, a quick glance to make sure it has fluid is easy enough.

Coolant or antifreeze is very important as well. If the fluid is low, it can cause a lot of damage to your motor. It is especially important to know that your coolant should never be checked if the engine is hot. Checking your cooling system when it is hot is very dangerous. Just don’t do it.

Gear oil and transmission fluid are also important. These two often don’t have an easy method of checking them. If the transmission is an automatic, it might have a dipstick. Other than that, this is a good example of a system that only needs to be checked if there is signs of a leak. All fluid should be replaced on a maintenance schedule that the manufacturer specifies.

Power steering fluid is similar to gear oil and transmission fluid. It will likely have a reservoir to check it, but really only needs to be checked if there are signs of a leak.

Fluids aside, you may want to find out more information about maintenance schedules for your car. If you have the owners manual, this is a good place to find that information. If not, the most reliable source is to ask a dealer. Maintenance schedules are determined by mileage for each system.

I assume you know you have a rotary motor and it is very different that all other motors on the road. Getting into how this is significant and would take sometime. I recommend reading up on rotary motors for more information.

If you would like someone to inspect your entire vehicle for more advice about what exactly your car needs at this mileage, I would have a complete inspection done in person to make sure your car is kept in great shape.

Good luck with your first car!