Q: Ignition problems at the distributor.

When I connect a test light to the positive post on the battery and touch the negative side of the coil it will light up but this will only happen with the key off. When the key is on it will not light up and I do not have spark at the plug.

Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. This is common as you supply power to the coil once the key is in, which will cause the ground to change. If you are not getting spark then the power to the coil needs to be checked first. If there is power then the ignition needs to be checked to see if it is providing ground to the coil when the engine is rotating. If it has points then those need to be checked. If it has HEI ignition then the ignition module has more than likely failed. If you need to have this tested, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.

3. Ignition problems at the distributor.