Q: Ignition locked up after the car sat for two months

I didn't drive my car for two months. The other day, I tried to start it up. The battery died out. The key wouldn't come out of the ignition. I had the battery replaced and after that evrything seems to work inside the car, except for the ignition which seemed to be locked up. I still couldn't get the key out. I need some advice on what to do now. The car had no issues before and ran great. What could cause this? What should I do to restart it? Thank you.

You may be experiencing a faulty ignition lock cylinder. This is the part that is responsible for locking the steering wheel and the ignition switch without the key in the ignition. If this part fails, the key may not turn, the steering wheel may remain locked, the vehicle may not start, or in your case the key may get stuck in the ignition.

You can try to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth quickly while simultaneously attempting to pull the key out. It may also help if the brake pedal is depressed while attempting this. If this does not work, the ignition lock cylinder may require replacement. If this is the case, the new lock cylinder will come with brand new ignition keys. Be sure to have this job done by an experienced professional as it is really easy to make a mistake when installing an ignition switch.

3. Ignition locked up after the car sat for two months