Q: ignition coil has a melted connector.

I have a 2007 lexus es350 and number 1 ignition coil has a melted connector. The coil cosmetically looks fine, not melted but the connector on the wires melted. what would cause this?

It sounds like the coil primary side circuit has excessive low resistance, and is like a short. This could have overheated the wiring. I would recommend replacing the coil and also replacing or repairing connector. If you would like to have these repairs done, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the wiring and follow through with the right repairs.