Q: If MAF is broken will service engine light come on? And is this my problem?

Sometimes my service engine light comes on and says the engine is "running lean" and it is rough when idle how would I explain this to a mechanic to get the problem fixed. The light comes on and off here and there!

Hi, thanks for writing in. If the MAF is faulty, this will certainly cause the check engine light to come on and it can also cause lean running conditions. If you explained exactly that to the technician you are choosing to make this repair for you they should understand quite well. This sensor can sometimes be costly on many vehicles however it is fairly easy to replace. I would recommend having the trouble codes cleared out after the MAF replacement to make sure that the MAF replacement actually solved the issue. There are also tests that can be done before replacing the MAF to determine if it is working correctly. If you would like help with having these inspections performed, consider having one of our expert automotive technicians come to your home or office to look at and diagnose these issues for you, and make any repairs as needed.

3. If MAF is broken will service engine light come on? And is this my problem?