Q: If all four of my tires turn while the car is in the air, what's causing it not to work when I drive it on the road?

When getting down on the car, my 4wd light comes on and stays on for a few secs and then goes off but my front tires are spinning like crazy?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Before an ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Before an issue like this can be properly diagnosed, the vehicle would need to be lifted off the ground and have all four wheels in the air. Then the vehicle would need to be put in gear with a person in the vehicle and act as if they were driving on the road. The person in the car would shift gears at the normal rpms and the technician would look at the wheels to make sure that all four of them are spinning and that the four wheel drive system is working. If the rear wheels are not spinning, this can help the technician to determine the best course of action. Sometimes vehicles can have a four wheel drive warning light but the four wheel drive will still work. It is important to determine the exact cause of the issue with an inspection prior do performing any actual repairs.

If you would like help with an inspection, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.