Q: if a timing chain wears, how do you know if the gears are worn as well

it has been diagnosed that the timing chain is worn. how would I know what could have caused the chain to stretch? and how would I know if the timing gears are also worn?

Hi there. Assuming, proper maintenance has been performed and it is timing chain heard, would lead me to believe, a timing chain guide or timing chain tensioner is worn or broken. Once the timing cover has been removed, all of the timing components require proper inspection, gear wear would be indicated by, one side of gear tooth worn more than the other (sharper edge). Any wear would warrant replacement, while the timing chain is being replaced. Most timing chains are replaced as sets. You don’t want to have to do this repair twice. I recommend having your vehicle’s engine timing chain noise be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. if a timing chain wears, how do you know if the gears are worn as well