Q: Idling high/low and car shuts down

When my truck is parked and I let it run, it seems like it is having difficulty idling and acts like it wants to shut down, but then it starts sounding better. It repeats the pattern high/low over and over. When I started investigating, I thought it was the vacuum, but now I'm not so sure. When it shuts down while I am driving, it happens suddenly and there seems to be no reason. And as I mentioned, while I'm driving it will do that high/low idling which I can't figure out either. My truck has a two-barrel holley carburetor and it’s a 360 V8. In your expertise, what is going on with my truck?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1989 Dodge Ramcharger. Possible causes for this situation are a failed ignition component or an automatic shutdown relay experiencing a malfunction. Have one of our mobile experts take a look at the vehicle’s idling problem, replace the automatic shutdown relay if necessary, and save yourself a dangerous trip down the road with a stalling vehicle.

3. Idling high/low and car shuts down