Q: Idle RPM will not hold, just goes to 0 and then stalls if I let my foot off the gas

Before, it ran perfect, the Idle RPM was beautiful, now after replacing a starter, myself, and reconnecting the battery I found the hard way that the rpm goes to zero when my foot is off the gas and the battery light goes on. Also, I found that sometimes my VSC and some other skide control light show up on my dashboard as off, and after pushing the button to turn back on there is no response.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve causing your engine idle to fluctuate and eventually stall. The idle air control valve is a small valve on the engine’s intake system that reads the air intake as it comes into the motor. This is controlled by the car’s ECM which uses this information to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio depending on various inputs such as outside air temperature, intake air temperature, load and various other things. As you accelerate, your car’s engine is receiving a much higher dose of fuel than when at idle and conversely, when you let off the gas pedal, there is a sudden change in this fuel supply as a result of your foot letting off the pedal. When this happens, the job of the idle air control valve is to bring this deceleration down to a slow and smooth idle rather than suddenly cutting off the fuel supply causing the motor to die. When the idle air control valve is not working properly, this cause a disruption in this process resulting in the engine not being able to idle properly. I would recommend having a professional come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Idle RPM will not hold, just goes to 0 and then stalls if I let my foot off the gas