Q: idle is low and engine light flashes when I drive.

When I drive my van it has a bad clicking noise and can only drive it 30 mph. The engine light will be on and if it starts flashing I have to slow down until it stops flashing and then I have to drive at least 10 mph below what I was driving for it not to flash. It idles really low and dies. If I try to drive it over 30 mph you can feel it loosing power and about to die. When I stop at a stop sign or when I get home it dies while still in drive. I have not been able to drive it. Hopefully you can give me an idea of where to start looking at.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be having many types of problems. With a lack of power and a ticking sound, we must look at the level of the oil and the drive belt. Both can cause similar symptoms and noises. If your oil is low, then you have a leak and you need to turn your attention to finding it. If the belt is broken, frayed, loose, or a pulley is bad, then you will need to replace the belt and take any further corrective action. If these components check out, then you should turn your attention to the charging system and make sure the battery and alternator are working correctly. If necessary you can then resort to testing for proper fuel pressure, spark power, and look into the air intake system. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. idle is low and engine light flashes when I drive.