Q: Idle Failure - 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I Have A 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was given To Me And When I Try Starting It , It Would Only Run For Couple Seconds Then Died. Engine made Hissing Noise ... Intake Was Not Connected. Transmission cooler lines Were Also Disconnected .. Do I Need A New IAC Valve Or Is It Because Trans Cooler And Intake Werent Connected? Check Engine Light Came On Instantly.. Need Help. !

A: This may be a sign of a failing idle air co...

This may be a sign of a failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve is located on or near your intake manifold that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. This valve is controlled by the vehicle's computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature, and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. However, when the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 800 RPM (for most cars), it is more than likely that you are dealing with an IAC valve problem. In cases where this valve is clogged or is failing, your vehicle will stall instead of slowing to an idle after the release of the throttle. I would recommend having an expert come to your home to diagnose the stalling issue and replace your idle air control valve if necessary.