Q: I went to a mechanic for a estimate on a fuel pump installation and also for a transmission fluid change...per my son.

Then mechanic told me that this might not be a good idea due to junk that could go into the engine. (I regularly had oil changes and kept all other fluids filled properly.) I feel so stupid...should I take the chance and have a transmission fluid change or not?

A transmission fluid change is a good idea in this situation. I would suggest that you have a technician remove the transmission oil pan and inspect the fluid; if the transmission has some type of wear issue it will be exposed by this visual check. If you’d like, a YourMechanic certified mechanic can come to your home or office and perform a transmission fluid service on your vehicle.

• I went to a mechanic for a estimate on a fuel pump installation and also for a transmission fluid change...per my son.