Q: I was wondering if it would be legal to swap my vq35de motor out of my 350z and replace it with a ls5.3 vortec motor

I wanted to pull the stock 350z motor out and put in a 5.3 ls vortec. I was told it needs to pass emission s and inspection and have the computer match the car? Like the chassis Vin in the ecu?

Check the rules for emissions testing in your locale - they vary widely, especially if you are in a large metropolitan area with "Clean Air" standards and enforcement. California, with its California Air Resources Board, is especially strict. Most regions stop testing and enforcement once the vehicle is 25 or more years old (not applicable here). In general, including full-function LS engine and emissions controls, and all associated hardware (i.e. catalytic converter) and feedback mechanisms in working order, installed in a vehicle lighter than the original installation, will be OK. The OBD II interface must also perform as expected by the testing agency - this is challenging. Be prepared to prove the source of the donor engine. But once again - CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL AGENCY on this - they get to make the rules.

• I was wondering if it would be legal to swap my vq35de motor out of my 350z and replace it with a ls5.3 vortec motor