Q: I was told my ac compressor is on its last legs, and was quoted $900 for a new one. My question is whether I can get a different

I am not concerned whether my ac ever works again, but if the unit fails (bearing is failing on the pulley) I would be effectively stranded when it happens. Would putting a shorter belt and bypassing the ac work? Are there any problems it could cause further down the road? I have also tried to find a proper diagram for belt routing and haven't come across anything useful yet.

A: Hello. If the compressor seizes the belt wi...

Hello. If the compressor seizes the belt will break and the engine may overheat. Look at this forum link for belt routing. The problem is this compressor cannot be bypassed unless you can find a compressor eliminator pulley. If you want to have this looked at by another expert, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the system and advise on having the correct repairs.