Q: I was told I need the front valve gasket replaced. My truck has stalled upon start attempt. Could the gasket issue cause this? Oldsmobile

Truck sometimes takes several attempts to start and I am wondering if the front valve gasket in need of replacement plays a part in this, or if it is a separate issue altogether.

Hello - yes, a leaking valve cover gasket could be causing this. Quite often, leaking valve cover gaskets dribble oil down onto the spark plugs, or the ignition boots which connect to the plugs. This oil causes the electrical charge to short to the cylinder head, resulting in a misfire for the engine. Enough cylinders misfiring close together, and the engine stalls. For a second opinion, I would recommend an engine misfire inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. I was told I need the front valve gasket replaced. My truck has stalled upon start attempt. Could the gasket issue cause this? Oldsmobile