Q: I was told I need my timing gear cover gasket replaced due to leaking oil. I have a 2011 Chevy equinox. With 69 thousand miles. Is

Is it normal for a vehicle with 69 thousand miles to have the timing gear cover gasket replaced? Iam thinking odometer fraud

A: Hello. I am sorry to hear of your trouble w...

Hello. I am sorry to hear of your trouble with your Chevrolet Equinox. I agree, if that is the "real" mileage under typical conditions, that would be an early replacement for a gasket. I would have to double check your application, but one possibility is checking the torque or tightness of the fasteners on the cover assuming they are accessible.

You cannot tighten any of the fasteners beyond the specifications in the manual, but using a torque wrench set at spec you can at least see if the fasteners (at least the accessible ones) are at the required torque value. In other words, what you are doing is looking for obviously "loose" fasteners which might be contributing to the leak. Again, if already tight, there is nothing you can do but you can temporarily reduce the leak IF the cover is not tight like it is supposed to be. If you still have the leak despite that effort, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to detect the cause of the leak and have this repaired.