Q: I was just wondering why my airbag light is on?

I bought my car used with 35000 miles on it. I noticed when I started the vehicle the seatbelt chime didn't ding like it's supposed to the seatbelt light just flashed. A couple of weeks ago I was detailing the inside of the car when I noticed that two wires were coming from the bottom of the seatbelt buckle. I don't know if the person that had the car before me cut the wires because he was tired of the seatbelt chime or what but I think that's the problem with the airbag light being on. The problem is I don't know how to reconnect the wires.

A: Hi there. From the description you have pro...

Hi there. From the description you have provided, the problems described with the seat belt chime and airbag light are unrelated. The seat belt chime module may have failed long before the airbag light came on. The cut wires at your vehicle's seat belt buckle may be the cause, for the airbag light being on. The seat belt buckle requires replacement. Repairing wiring in the supplemental restraint system is not recommended practice in the automotive industry. The airbag light being on could be any number of failed components. The vehicle's airbag computer and/or body control module should be accessed for codes. This would help direct you to the area of concern. I recommend having your vehicle's airbag light on and inoperative chime be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.