Q: I was driving in to work and my power steering shut off, followed by an engine temp light, followed by battery/charging light.

I was driving in to work and my power steering shut off, followed by an engine temp light, followed by battery/charging light. What should I do? The battery terminal is corroded so I will clean that on my break, but would that cause all the other issues?

Hello - Your accessory drive belt, also called a serpentine belt, has failed. This belt drives the power steering pump, alternator, water pump and air conditioning compressor (assuming your vehicle has AC). Hopefully, you were able to safely get the car out of traffic quickly enough to avoid serious damage from the overheating. I would recommend replacing not only the belt, but the belt tensioner and idler pulley as well. The tensioner loses tension over the years, and the idler bearing wears out at a similar rate as the belt. This is preventive maintenance. I would recommend having a Serpentine Belt Replacement service completed by a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to repair this problem.

• I was driving in to work and my power steering shut off, followed by an engine temp light, followed by battery/charging light.